Thursday, October 1, 2009

Doing The Impossible

Hey friends. So it has been a while since I blogged, and I'm dedicating this blog to my friend Lizzy!! She told me about a month or so ago that I need to start writing blogs again. I guess she must have enjoyed my writing style :). In any event, this blog is for you Lizzy with lots of love!!!

I haven't written in 10 months, seems like so long ago. I'm trying to think of "what's new" in our lives. We have done a lot this year. Went on a cruise, went to the UK, went to California, became licensed foster parents, did a lot of home projects, and, therefore, spent a lot of money :). I'm working from home now which most of you probably know, and Randy got a promotion a few weeks ago and is traveling to Onalaska, Wisconsin, (about an hour drive); but he is now "the boss" of his own store. He really enjoys his job and is listening to quite the number of audio books.

I have been reading a lot lately. I really am enjoying it. I'm in the middle of reading the Twilight Series. I saw the movie with Joanie, and I thought it was completely awful!!!! I keep hearing, however, about how awesome the books are. One of my favorite political pundits (Glenn Beck) talks about how awesome the books are all the time. A few friends told me the books are good, and I honestly was getting sick of the romance novels (although that is what I am starting to think what Twilight is all about, romance). I thought I would try it out. Kristy said she read them so now I am not as embarrassed admitting that I am reading them. I was almost going to give up, but one of my new piano students saw the book on my table and said the further along you get in the series the better the series is. I'm holding on to hope that my interest increases. I also teased my piano student that Edward was my cousin (the character in the book is Edward Cullen), and I too was a vampire. She didn’t believe me.

As far as reading nonfiction, I'm reading this book called When God Writes Your Life Story by Eric and Leslie Ludy. I'm on the 5th chapter and to say that I haven't been challenged is an understatement. A lot within the 4 chapters I have heard before; but I think it is true that when you get older, you become more serious in your spiritual life. The 1st chapter is about doing the impossible and not settling for mediocre Christianity. That chapter challenged me because as I have a routine in my life and as we become set in our ways, we don't really like to bring about change; and we definitely don't think about doing something within our level of intelligence that doesn't seem "safe." We strive to stay comfortable, and we tend to strive for mediocrity. I feel that as every day passes, I strive more and more for mediocrity than I do for "impossibility." The great thing is that our God strives for "impossibility." Words cannot describe how proud I have been of my friends and family who challenge the impossibilities head on. You guys are complete blessings to me and what an encouragement.

So, what am I going to do that seems like an impossibility to my level of intelligence? It all stems from reading a lot this summer/fall. After reading quite a bit this summer/fall, I really have had a desire to write. All of you that know my husband know he grew up in Africa. Most of you probably don't know that Randy is a very, very talented writer; and writing and literature are his first love. All of you that know me know that I moved to Bay City, Wisconsin, when I was 15. Most of you probably don't know that what got me through the move was reading the Christy Miller series. Moving was definitely harder for me than I let on; I don't even really remember expressing how hard it was for me with my friends. Randy and I talked about it, and we both agreed; we want to write a series for young adults as there are not many interesting books out there for Christian young adults. We even have a story line and plot; and I must say, I think it'll be rather interesting.

Now, most of you probably think this is hilarious. I think it is so you can laugh along with me. Do I think that we can write something that can be published? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is completely impossible to me; however, if God wants to use us in this way, He will make it happen. We’re going to have fun doing this together, husband and wife, even if nothing becomes of it. I almost can’t wait to write the 1st chapter. Perhaps I will post an excerpt…….

3 comments:

Liz said...

Yessss.....a blog post....FINALLY! :) Thank you!

I think it's AMAZING that you and Randy want to write a book. And like you said, if the Lord wants it to be published it will. And I'm sure you'll have fun in the process. :)

And...since Randy is listening to audio books...has he listened to "Crazy Love"? I haven't yet, but I hear that it is AMAZING. Just thought I'd recommend it.

love you girl -- now I need to post on my blog... :-P

Grant and Jodie said...

diedre its about time!! i must say though it was a very good post! i now feel like i know whats up in your life although we havn't talked or seen each other in years. how cool about the writing thing! so i don't enjoy reading but really want to. what book should i read to get myself enjoying reading???? hurry up and write yours so i can read it.

Jessica said...

Dee so glad you updated your blog! I love reading whats going on in everyone's lives! Thanks for sharing the books you are reading and i think it's great that you and Randy want to right books! DO IT!!! :-) Miss you girl!